I was attending a conference when I found a box with stickers. I liked the idea. But then, that one caught my attention:
How could it be more wrong?
First, it is on a sticker. Promoting gender equality is by no means singling out women among all those men (since the conference I’m attending is mostly between countries of Asia and USA, women are particularly under-represented, especially Asian women). It should be natural to have somewhat 50-50 ratio. It should be natural and expected. Singling out women is only a means to say “look, there are women, and they are so rare we can tag them”. As you would tag an endangered species.
Second, it is pink. Barbie pink. Seriously? Not only we don’t like pink particularly, most people like blue anyway, but this is clearly the worth stereotype you can imagine.
Third, “girl”!?! Where is the sticker written “boy”? I googled the word in Thefreedictionary, here is what it gives:
- Afemale child.
- Adaughter: our youngest girl.
- OftenOffensive A woman.
- Awoman socializing with a group of women: a night out with the girls.
- Usedas a familiar form of address to express support of or camaraderie with a woman.
- InformalA female sweetheart: cadets escorting their girls to the ball.
- OffensiveA female servant or employee.
I guess I don’t have to drag you attention to points 3 and 6…
Hopefully, I can still be the ninja one (my favorite).